Goa wins Mahadayi water dispute

Mahadayi river in Goa (Source: Amol.Gaitonde via Wikimedia commons)
Mahadayi river in Goa (Source: Amol.Gaitonde via Wikimedia commons)

Mahadayi water dispute: Goa to get maximum share of water

Bringing an end to the 50-year-old dispute between Maharashtra, Goa and Karnataka over the Mahadayi's water, the Mahadayi Water Disputes Tribunal has awarded the maximum share of water to Goa in its final verdict. Goa has been allowed to use 24 tmc water from the Mahadayi river for its municipal, irrigational and industrial water requirements while Karnataka has been allowed to use 13.4 tmc of water for power generation and drinking purposes. Maharashtra has received the lowest share of 1.33 tmc water to meet its in-basin needs.

SC advises Tamil Nadu to reduce water level in Mullaperiyar dam

In the wake of the flood crisis in Kerala, the Supreme Court has ordered the Tamil Nadu government to consider reducing the water level of Mullaperiyar dam to 139 feet from the current 142 feet. However, the latter has refused the advisory fearing that it would set a wrong precedent. It took Tamil Nadu almost a three-decade-long legal battle to be allowed to raise the Mullaperiyar dam level to 142 feet.

Environment ministry comes up with yet another change to clearance process

The environment ministry has come up with standard environment clearance conditions for 25 major industrial sectors that include coal mines, oil and gas exploration, cement and hydropower sector. The aim behind the move is to bring uniformity and transparency in the clearance process, ensure ease of business and reduce delays in granting clearances. However, the environmentalists are wary about the ministry constantly changing the process of environmental impact assessment and feel that the current change is yet another dilution of green laws.  

Centre unlocks Rs 66,000 crore under the Compensatory Afforestation Fund (CAF) Act

Under the Compensatory Afforestation Fund (CAF) Act, that was passed in 2016, the Centre has unlocked Rs 66,000 crore. The amount is the accumulated funds deposited by user agencies as compensation for diverting forest land for non-forest purposes over the last 10 years. Under the new rules, it has been notified that 80 percent of the compensatory afforestation amount will be utilised by states for plantations and other green projects.  The remaining 20 percent will be used for works related to strengthening forest and wildlife protection.

Centre bans 18 toxic pesticides

Out of the 18 pesticides, the registration, manufacture, import, sale and use of 11 pesticides are banned with immediate effect while six will be phased out by December 2020. Among the 18 pesticides, herbicide trifularin has also been banned immediately except for its use on wheat. However, the ban does not include monocrotophos and mancozeb, both of which were implicated in the deaths of dozens of cotton farmers in central India last year. Moreover, the ban has also excluded DDT, even though the Verma committee appointed to review toxic pesticides, has recommended banning it. 

This is a roundup of important policy matters from August 15- 21, 2018. Also, read the news this week.

Lead image source: Amol.Gaitonde via Wikimedia commons

Post By: Swati Bansal