1. Wetlands are among the most productive ecosystems in the world, comparable to rain forests and coral reefs. Which international agreement was signed to protect wetlands?
a. Ramsar Conventionb. Rio Earth Summitc. Montreal Protocold. Copenhagen Summit
2. What is the technical name for wetland plants, which are plants growing in water or on a substrate that is at least periodically submerged in water.
a. Hydroponic plantsb. Hydric plantsc. Hydrophytesd. Sporophytes
3. Which of these wetlands is dominated by woody plants (woody shrubs or trees)?
a. Swampb. marshc. bogd. fen
4. This pear shaped lagoon on the east coast of India is connected to the sea by a 32 km long channel. Flow of water between the sea and the lagoon through the channel was inadequate, which was affecting the wetland. To successfully restore this wetland ecosystem, a new mouth was artificially created. For which famous lake was this intervention carried out?
a. Chilikab. Sambharc. Deepor beeld. Loktak
5. Loktak Lake is the largest freshwater lake in northeastern India. In which state is it located?
a. Meghalayab. Manipurc. Arunachal Pradeshd. Sikkim
6. Name India’s largest inland saline water lake, situated in Rajasthan. The lake is economically important since it contributes to over 8% of India’s salt production. It is also environmentally important because it supports thousands of flamingoes and other birds that migrate from northern Asia.
a. Bhoj wetlandb. Sambhar Lakec. Harike Laked. Rudrasagar lake
7. Bhitarkanika national park in Orissa provides a home to the largest population of the endangered salt water crocodile. What ecosystem does it primarily comprise of?
a. Salt marshb. Coral reefc. Mangroved. Tropical rainforest
8. Which wetland is an estuary located in Kerala. Like the fingers of a palm, it has many prominent channels which converge into a single outlet near Kollam to enter the Lakshadweep sea. The wetland is being impacted by increased tourism and industrial activity which release untreated wastewater into the lake.
a. Sasthamkottab. Wularc. Sambhard. Ashtamudi
9. The Keoladeo Ghana National Park is home to many species of rare birds, including the Siberian Crane. Located in Rajastan, what was it formerly known as?
a. Bharatpur Bird Sanctuaryb. Binsar bird sanctuaryc. Jim Corbett National Parkd. None of the above
10. Point Calimere Wildlife and Bird Sanctuary in Tamil Nadu was created in 1967 for the conservation of the which protected Indian antelope that is worshipped by the Bishnois and the killing of which has put Salman Khan and Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi on the wrong side of the law?
a. Chinkarab. Black Buckc. Blue Bull / Nilgaid. Chowsingha
Ans: 1.(a) 2.(c) 3.(a) 4.(a) 5.(b) 6.(b) 7.(c) 8.(d) 9.(a) 10.(b)