1. Of the following types of ecosystems, tell which one is as biologically productive as a tropical rainforest:
a. Grass landsb. Shallow water areasc. Coral reefsd. Agriculture lands
2. What are ‘pastures of the sea’?
a. Estuariesb. Coastal watersc. Antarctic convergenced. All of the above
3. Of the following types of ecosystems, which one acts as seasonal homes for migratory birds?
a. Savannahsb. Grasslandsc. Wetlandsd. Tundras
4. Ecologists often divide a lake into:
a. Four major zonesb. Three major zonesc. Eight major zonesd. Nine major zonesAns: Littoral, Limnetic and Profundal
5. Most deserts do not support vegetation because they do not have:
a. Sufficient nutrientsb. A favourable temperaturec. Sufficient sunlightd. Sufficient water
6. Where is the largest stretch of mangrove in the world located?
a. Nicaraguab. Surinamc. Bangladeshd. BoliviaAnswer: The region is Sunderbans. Some portion is in India.
7. Which sea is referred to as an oceanic desert?
a. Red Seab. Sargasso Seac. Arabian Sead. Sea of Japan
8. Of the following mammals, which one can survive without water for a whole year?
a. Wild Assb. Gembokc. Addaxd. None of the aboveAnswer: It is an inhabitant of the desert regions of the Middle East.
9. An aquifer is associated with:
a. Waterb. Groundwaterc. Rain Waterd. Soil erosion
10. Which ancient Indian scientist claimed that termite mounds were indicators of groundwater?
a. Khanab. Gargac. Varahamihirad. Solihotra
Ans: 1. (c) 2. (b) 3. (c) 4. (b) 5. (d) 6. (c) 7. (b) 8. (c) 9. (b) 10. (c)