1. The Stockholm water prize is a prestigious international award presented annually to an individual, organization, or institute for outstanding water- related activities. Name the Indian who won this award in 2009 for over 4 decades of work in the field of sanitation.
a. Asit K Biswasb. Dr Bindeshwar Pathakc. Sunita Naraind. Medha Patkar
2. Name the activist who was awarded the Goldman Environmental Prize in 1992 and is very actively involved in the movement to stop the construction of the Sardar Sarovar Dam on the Narmada river in India.
a. M C Mehtab. Chandi Prasad Bhattc. Sunderlal Bahugunad. Medha Patkar
3. Water harvesting and recharging has become the need of the hour. Which Indian was honoured with the 2001 Magsaysay Award for Community Leadership for his pioneering work in water management in Rajasthan?
a. Baba Amteb. Rajendra Singhc. Vandana Shivad. Sunderlal Bahuguna
4. The highlight of the Singapore International Water Week is an award that honours outstanding contributions towards solving global water problems by either applying technologies or implementing innovative policies and programmes. What is the name of this award?
a. The Singapore Water Prizeb. Lee Kuan Yew Water Prizec. Malacca Water awardd. Yellow River Water Award
5. An international award was jointly established in 2000 by the Government of Morocco and the World Water Council, to recognize an institution, organization, individual or group of individuals outstanding achievements in any aspect of water resources management. What is the award called?
a. King Hassan II Great World Water Prizeb. World Water Prizec. Casablanca Awardd. None of the above
6. Ralegaon Siddhi is a village in Maharashtra that is considered a model of environmental conservation. Since 1975 who has led the village to implement programs like tree planting, terracing, watershed management, good sanitation practices and the use of renewable energy?
a. Baba Amteb. Chandi Prasad Bhattc. Medha Patkard. Anna Hazare
7. The 2010 Stockholm Water Prize was conferred on US scientist Rita R. Colwell for her pioneering research on the control of spread of which waterborne disease?
a. Hepatitisb. Jaundicec. Cholerad. Schistosomiasis
8. Which Chinese body received an international prize in 2010 for its outstanding accomplishments in integrated river basin management?
a. Yellow River Conservancy Commissionb. Hwang Ho River Conservation Commissionc. Three Gorges Damd. Dragon River Management Company
9. H.R.H Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden is the Patron of which award, open to young people between the age of 15 and 20, who have conducted water related projects focusing on local, regional, national or global concerns? The award seeks to encourage their continued interest in water and the environment.
a. H.M King Carl XVI Gustaf awardb. Swedish Water Academy Awardc. Stockholm Junior Water Prized. International Youth Water Award
10. One of the awardees of the Jamnalal Bajaj Awards for 2010 for outstanding contributions in social development was a civil engineer who created ‘artificial glaciers’ to help Ladakhi farmers get water in April and May – critical months for sowing crop. What is his name?
a. Chewang Norphelb. Stanzin Namgyalc. Sunderlal Bahugunad. Dr Asit K BiswasAns: 1. (b) 2. (d) 3. (b) 4. (b) 5. (a) 6. (d) 7. (c) 8. (a) 9. (c) 10. (a)