From Brecht Mommen, UNICEF, Bhubaneshwar
I work for UNICEF in Orissa as the WASH specialist. My main task is to provide support in improving access to water supply and sanitation in rural areas. I have found that access to safe water have been largely undermined by poor operation and maintenance (O&M). The contributing factors are:
- Poor ownership and awareness by communities about their rights and responsibilities
- Poor capacities, willingness and ownership by panchayats to maintain water supply systems
- Limited accountability mechanisms for citizens to hold panchayats accountable for the provision of safe water
- Lack of spare parts and tools
- Limited availability of mechanics and lack of motivation/incentives
For this, I request the Community members to share their experiences regarding:
- Are their examples where O&M issues been addressed, reducing the downtime of safe water sources, while also limiting the pollution of the groundwater in a sustainable way?
- What are the drivers for this improved O&M?
- What accountability mechanisms have been found to be effective?
- Have these been documented, or do they need to be documented? I request members to share existing documents
Your responses will help us devise ways to improve O&M issues in rural water supply in Orissa.
Download the below attachment for response