Water Resources Management – Agriculture Water Use
Up to six months
CEEW seeks to hire Research Interns, a position that will be crucial in adding to the dynamic research team at CEEW. CEEW offers an intellectually challenging and conducive work environment, with a focus on research rigour, innovative thinking, and strategic outreach. We are looking for an enthusiastic and detail-oriented individual to join the interdisciplinary Risks and Adaptation team, to contribute in their work on water resources management.
The Risks and Adaptation team is one of the seven focus areas at the CEEW. The Risks and Adaptation team examines both local and global environmental risks in order to develop strategies to mitigate them. The team analyses the impact of climate risks on health, agriculture and urban infrastructure, the links between clean energy and water, other human development priorities, and designs effective responses to air and water pollution related problems.
The Council’s major projects on water governance and security under Risks and Adaptation include the 584-page National Water Resources Framework Study for India’s 12th Five Year Plan; irrigation reform for Bihar; Swachh Bharat; supporting India’s National Water Mission; collective action for water security; mapping India’s traditional water bodies; modelling water-energy nexus; circular economy of water; participatory irrigation management in South Asia; domestic and inter-sectoral water conflicts; modelling decision making at the basin-level; rainwater harvesting; and multi-stakeholder initiatives for urban water management.
The research intern applicant will assist the fellow researchers in undertaking robust quantitative and qualitative analysis. In addition to the duties and responsibilities outlined below, intern should be prepared, as and when necessary, to take on additional responsibilities, respond to events, travel for field visits and developments that cannot be anticipated easily.
Job Duties and Accountabilities
The research intern is expected to assist researchers in the team in the following:
· Contribute in desk-top research for exhaustive review of available information and data pertaining to water use efficiencies, growth paths, policy instruments in the agriculture sector.
· Carry out detailed review of literature on best management practices/interventions to augment water use efficiency across sectors.
· Evaluate inter-sectoral water use status in study areas.
· Assist the team in collecting data for agriculture and water use efficiencies in the study areas, and compare with benchmarks.
· Respond to research requests from senior researchers, discuss research needs, and prepare responses that synthesise and analyse information.
· Assist with programme implementation, including help with preparing presentations.
· Assist with building a database and relationships with a wider community of experts, scholars, institutions and potential donors in the energy, environment and water domains.
· Assist with planning and executing events such as report launches, consultation workshops, round table discussions, etc.
· Contribute to reports and other research products as part of the research team.
· Participate constructively in weekly team meetings.
· Enrolled in or completed Master’s degree with Environmental Studies/Resource Management/Water Resources Management/Agricultural Economics or Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Engineering or related subjects
· Keen interest in water resources management and policy
· Basic understanding of agriculture water use and/or agriculture water use efficiency
· Superior analytical abilities, effective oral and written communication skills are a necessary prerequisite.
· Ability to communicate and coordinate effectively as a team member.
· Ability to analyse information and present in a clear and accurate manner both verbal and written.
· Willingness to show initiative in order to handle unforeseen challenges.
· Willingness to travel outside Delhi for meetings and field trips.
· Ability and willingness to work in multicultural teams in a dynamic and fluid environment.
CEEW operates in a dynamic environment and the candidate will be required to show flexibility in undertaking a variety of tasks. CEEW is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply. CEEW offers an attractive stipend to all the interns as per the company rules.
Interested candidates are requested to share their curriculum vitae (CV) and cover letter explaining your interest in the position (in one PDF) and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Application – Research Intern for Water Resources Management’ as the subject line. Please do not contact individual researchers for any open position. We are an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified by us.