Would you like to work with India’s leading international think tank? Are you looking for productive engagements and leadership opportunities while making your mark in the water sector? CEEW seeks a committed and driven water expert to join as a Senior Programme Lead. The position offers immense potential in strategising research interventions and conducting analysis and dissemination of findings nationally and internationally. The position will function independently and strengthen the organisation in its water related engagements. You will be working closely with senior leaders in the sector that includes government, non-government, leading donors, public policy institutions, foreign governments, international think tanks and experts. You will be helping to grow the water sector analytics at CEEW and will be responsible for building a team of researchers.
The Council on Energy, Environment and Water is one of South Asia’s leading not-for-profit policy research institutions. CEEW addresses pressing global challenges through an integrated and internationally focused approach. It prides itself on the independence of its high-quality research, develops partnerships with public and private institutions, and engages with wider public. CEEW has a young and dynamic team and whom you will be interacting on a daily basis.
We are proud that we have been featured extensively across nine categories in the ‘2017 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report’, including being ranked as South Asia’s top think tank (14th globally) with an annual operating budget of less than US$5 Million for the fifth year running. In 2016, CEEW was also ranked 2nd in India, 4th outside Europe and North America, and 20th globally out of 240 think tanks as per the ICCG Climate Think Tank’s standardized rankings. In 2013 and 2014, CEEW was rated as India’s top climate change think-tank as per the ICCG standardized ranking
Job designation: Senior Programme Lead
Job Location: New Delhi, India
In summary the job duties and responsibilities would include the following:
- Work with Senior Researchers on specific research projects such as water management, water governance, transboundary water conflicts and cooperation, industrial and urban water use and efficiency, agricultural water use and efficiency, environmental impacts, environmental law and governance, etc.
- To generate and pursue independent and original research ideas and support the initiation of new research programmes within the organization.
- To develop plans for research projects and to outline research procedures to be followed.
- To extrapolate and verify data given by research analysts/programme, evaluate, organise and edit the data into comprehensive standard report forms.
- To utilise internal and external databases and other research tools to create value added research data.
- To work closely with state governments to develop integrated energy, environment and water policies
- To travel to project sites, when required, to conduct interviews or collect data for different research projects
- To develop surveys and questionnaires and to collect, collate and analyse responses using different data analysis software’s and tools
- To publish in high quality peer reviewed national and international journals
- To assist in applications for research and general donor funding
- To take part in knowledge-transfer activities, including collaborative meetings and training workshops with other research groups and institutions
- To mentor junior team members and contribute to organization building activities
- To coordinate the work of research analysts and programme officers and guide them on different research projects
- To ensure that project deliverables are submitted on time
- Present results of research at national and international conferences, meetings, seminars and workshops and through personal contacts and networks
- Assist Research Fellows and other Senior Researchers with financial reporting and budgeting for specific projects
- Perform other duties occasionally, which are not included above, but which would be consistent with the role
- To assist Research Fellows and other Senior Researchers in developing related projects for strengthening and expanding the existing programme of research, presenting research to key constituencies, advisory bodies, conferences & research institutes
What we expect from you
- You should have Master’s or higher degree with specialization in energy, environment or water in relevant disciplines, such as economics, politics, law, international relation, public policy, physical sciences, sociology, anthropology, etc.
- You should have a strong research background, including an understanding of experimental and analytical research.
- You should have a minimum 7 years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated history of publication in peer-refereed journals.
- Strong track record of project management and timely delivery of outputs.
- Experience in dealing with public and private institutions.
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills as well as public speaking and research skills.
- Ability to work on water project proposals and demonstrated experience in raising research grants.
- Must work well with others, build a team and collaborate with other project team members and other institutions.
- Must have sharp analytical skills to analyse large data and reports.
- Experience working with software programmes such as Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Access.
- Experience with statistical software packages, such as STATA, R, SAS, SPSS.
- Must be organised and able to clearly synthesize and summarize information.
- Ability and willingness to work in a dynamic and fluid environment.
- Strong willingness to learn and have an open, inquiring mind.
- Skills in managing new technologies and media platforms.
- Willingness to show initiative in order to handle unforeseen problems.
- Strong interpersonal skills with confidence to engage with senior political and business leaders.
- Flexibility towards long work hours, especially when major deadlines and events are approaching.
- Foreign language skills desirable.
What we offer to you
Competitive compensation – commensurate to the experience and matching the best of standards adopted by industry or other similar organizations for similar roles.
Long term engagement for you to deploy your skills and ideas.
A fun environment where people’s contributions are valued, and leadership is by initiative.
If your expectations match our requirements we would be happy to hear from you. Please share your CV and cover letter explaining your interest in the position (in one document preferably PDF) and send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Application –Senior Programme Lead Water’ as the subject line. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. CEEW is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.