Arghyam is looking for Officer- Communications & Advocacy
Arghyam is an Indian public charitable foundation setup in 2001 with a personal endowment from Rohini Nilekani with a vision to ‘Safe, Sustainable Water for All’. Arghyam’s focus is exclusively on addressing the single biggest challenge India is facing today which is ensuring availability of clean water for drinking and sanitation purposes to every citizen. Arghyam, through its grants and partnerships with national, state and local governments, civil society organisations and networks and academic institutions in over 20 states in India, built an international reputation as an organisation noted for its innovation and values. We are a small, diverse team comprising individuals who have come together sharing the same dream and passion for making a difference to the people of India. For more details please see www.arghyam.org.
Arghyam’s mission is to "Strengthen the ability of the ecosystem to enable water security for 100 million people by 2023". To achieve outcomes at this scale, we are deploying Societal Platform thinking in the water sector. This new approach is disrupting the way we think about how social welfare organizations bring about change, at scale. This is the beginning of a transformational journey and now you have a chance to actively shape its evolution.
About the Position
Arghyam is looking for a motivated, passionate and hands-on Officer-Communications & Advocacy to understand communication needs of the organization and prepare strategy for them. S/he will have to work closely with a cross section of actors such as civil society members, experts, governments, donors, design thinkers and others. The Advocacy team at Arghyam is responsible for evangelising the societal platform thinking within the sector to solve water issues at scale, build engagement and partnerships for co-creating solutions and influence public policies/ programmes and investments on water. S/he will be a part of this team.
Roles and Responsibilities:
(A) Strategy Support (30%)
- Assist in developing goals, strategies and identify priorities for advocacy.
- Develop and work with monitoring and evaluation frameworks for the organisation to extract evidence-based recommendations for external communications.
- Track developments in policy and practice related to Arghyam’s focus (water, tech, CSOs, Govt).
- Collaborate with the Operations and Solutions team of Arghyam to build a coherent strategy to meet the communication needs of the organizations through existing programs.
(B) Editorial & Communications: (50%)
- Create advocacy and communications material in various formats to share emerging narratives in different geographies, including video content such as documentaries, short films etc.
- Proactively engage and develop approach notes (points of view), pitch documents and collaterals for partnerships and engagements.
- Provide writing, editing and copy-editing support to the team, helping with the production of compelling written and visual communications.
- Drive and build engagement for communications products including the website, blogs, articles and op-eds, newsletters, and social media channels
- Work with the IWP team to help leverage it as a constant media and communications partner
(C) Event Communication: (20%)
- Organize/ represent Arghyam in events, consultations, design workshops to build networks
- and understanding the sector’s thinking. Bring back understanding of needs to the internal teams to strengthen platform services.
- Support activities related to organization of all events including workshops, consultations, webinars etc. keeping brand guidelines in mind.
Skills and Qualifications
- Master's or Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Mass Communication, Marketing or Advertising, Development Communications or related field; or Digital Film Making/ Film and Video
- Communication/ Advertising or in public policy, journalism, international relations, public administration, rural management or related field with a strong interest in communications;
- Minimum 2 years of work experience in a communications-related field; water sector experience will be desirable;
- Any experience with creative design, videography and filmmaking a plus;
- Sound knowledge of communication strategies, and media landscape;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to turn around quickly;
- Abstracting intelligence from diverse external sources and ability to simplify complex ideas to cater to different audiences;
- Familiarity with the water sector is a plus;
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines;
- Willingness to travel extensively in remote areas.
What you’ll love about us/What you can expect/Why to apply
- Enabling work culture
- Freedom and flexibility to participate in building solutions for complex social problems
- Opportunity to work towards creating meaningful social impact at scale
Compensation: Competitive and commensurate with experience and abilities.
Last Date of Application: 30 June 2021
To apply for this post, please email your updated resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with a mandatory subject line “Application for the post of Officer- Communication & Advocacy”.
Download the job advertisement attached below.