Water quality standard sectiion
The water quality standards section on the site of the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), contains data on limits/standards of various indicative water quality parameters, such as coliform, pH, dissolved solids, bod etc, for each designated water use (drinking, bathing etc).
Monitoring of Indian National Aquatic Resource: This article on the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) website, contains graphs indicating the water-source wise national water quality monitoring network data, water quality trend across different parameters (bod, coliform etc), and water quality trend (measured in terms of bod) in various rivers of India.
Environmental standards section
The environmental standards section of the Central Pollution Control Board website, contains more than 40 industry–specific effluent standards, ranging from battery manufacturing to thermal power plants.
Read the industry–specific standards
Under the same section, read through some of the more recently–notified industry– specific standards and some proposed industry–specific standards here
The CPCB is a national body formed to promote cleanliness of streams and wells in the country by prevention, control and abatement of water pollution, and to improve the quality of air and to prevent, control or abate air pollution in the country.
For more info, click here
17 most polluting industries in India
This site provides information on the list of 17 most polluting industries, identified by the Central Pollution Control Board (Ministry of Environment and Forests). The site provides information on the following sections:
- What are the 17 Categories of the major polluting industries?
- What actions have been taken on the 17 categories of the industries which have come into operation after 1991 i.e. the Post-91 industries ?
- What are the details of the programme on pollution control in the Problem Areas?
- Number of Problem areas identified so far and what is their status in respect of the control of pollution from the industries existing in these areas?
- What are the industrial pollution programmes existing which are based on the concept of sustainable development?
- What are the incentives to the industries for pollution control ?
- What are the important Environmental Laws in the country?
- What are the different programes/activities implemented through State Pollution Control Board?
- What are the projects taken up for strengthening of Pollution Control Boards with World Bank assistance.
- Names of the State Pollution Control Boards/ Committees covered under the projects for strengthening.
- Whether SPCBs and PCCs are getting adequate financial support from State Governments and what is the financial status?
- Whether Ministry provides financial assistance to State Pollution Control Boards.
- Whether State Pollution Control Boards/ Pollution Control Committees are following uniform rules/ procedures for implementation of pollution control rules.
- What are the laws enforced by of the Pollution Control Boards ?
- What are the sources of fund for the Central and State Pollution Control Boards ?
- What are the programmes taken up for Industrial Pollution Control ?