The Sankalp 2010 Awards and Investment Forum is an annual Intellecap initiative committed to catalyzing entrepreneurship in the social enterprise space. Sankalp actively facilitates collaboration between established and budding entrepreneurs, investors, thought leaders and sector stakeholders interested in contributing effectively towards this fledgling yet fast-growing industry.
With a strong focus on double bottomline (social and commercial) enterprises Sankalp, in its second edition, aims to accelerate investment in this space through the showcase of pioneering, sustainable and innovative enterprises capable of long term social impact. Sankalp's primary goal is of bringing together various stakeholders sharing a common conviction that capital should be invested to create multiple bottom-line returns (financial, social and environmental) and not exclusively financial (profit-maximizing) or social (philanthropic) returns.
Thus having successfully established a niche for itself; Sankalp has taken the lead in recognizing those businesses that have mastered the balancing act between the profit and social objectives. Sankalp 2010 Forum and Awards shall recognize, award and connect the most investible social MSMEs (Micro, Small and Medium enterprises) operating in 5 high impact sectors:
- Agriculture,Food & Rural Business
- Clean Energy
- Inclusive Education
- Health, Water & Sanitation
- Technology for Development
- Piramal Water Private Limited
- Sarvajal, incorporated as Piramal Water Private Limited, is a social enterprise in India that develops sustainable drinking water solutions for rural populations where the quality of water is often the cause of more than 60% of common health ailments. Their business is designed around scalable innovations, technical/process improvements, ensuring livelihoods for local entrepreneurs, and developing customized community water filtration systems that can produce ultra-affordable drinking water for the masses. Sarvajal deploys their solutions through a franchise business model towards fulfilling their commitment to make purified drinking water accessible and affordable to all.
- Environment Planning Group Limited (EPGL)
- Environment Planning Group Limited (1994) develops Self Sustainable Reverse Osmosis based Water Purification Systems for Drinking Water for Masses on Affordable terms. Their entrepreneurial initiatives fulfill drinking/kitchen water requirements of human clusters at capital outlay of 1 USD per beneficiary and recurring charge of USD 0.25 per beneficiary per month. Their systems are working at 35 locations in villages, housing societies, slum resettlement colonies, schools/colleges, malls, offices/ commercial complexes, for 2 - 8years and established commercial viability at each place independently.
- Technology and Action for Rural Advancement (TARA)
- TARA (Technology and Action for Rural Advancement) is the large scale delivery arm of Development Alternatives (DA) group. TARA demonstrates business approaches by which local entrepreneurs can help improve rural lives by giving the rural entrepreneur an edge by designing and delivering technologies, solutions and trainings that are suited to local needs, are easy to use, and help generate profits on a sustainable basis. The Jal TARA water purification system is distributed through local entrepreneurs, who are given financial, logistical, maintenance assistance and training in installation.
- 3S- SHRAMIK a division of SARAPLAST Pvt. Ltd
- Saraplast provides high quality recyclable eco-friendly portable sanitation products &services. Their brand Shramik 3S is unique in the field of portable sanitation and liquid waste management. The company manufactures and services/cleans portable and other public restrooms for events, construction sites, slums, urban/rural requirement, large gatherings and un-served settlements and are currently developing a pay and use model as a franchise cum enterprise model and school sanitation(providing better sanitation in schools).
- G. V. Meditech Limited
- G.V. Meditech Ltd. Has been serving 7.1 million people in 15 districts in and around Varanasi and has been providing service for the last 18 years to the eastern region of Uttar Pradesh, Western Bihar, parts of adjoining Jharkhand State and even parts of Nepal. They are also planning to provide access to health care in the rural areas where people at this present time do not have access to basic facilities and health care malpractices are rampant. Recognized as one of the best medical clinics in Varanasi, The Apollo Clinic, Varanasi is an initiative of the prestigious Apollo Hospitals Group for which G.V.Meditech is the franchisee since 2005. The Clinic is managed by Dr. Indu Singh a leading gynecologist in the City and there are 66 doctors on the panel who are notable pioneers in their field.
- Kanak Resources Management Ltd
- Kanak Resources Management Limited (KRML) is a joint venture company promoted by IL & FS Waste Management and Urban Services Ltd. and Centre for Development Communication. It s a first-of- its- kind initiative in the country wherein a Financial Institution and an NGO have joined hands to form a company to create livelihood opportunities for most weaker segment of society and providing cleaner environment to urban population of India. Their mission is to provide world class services in collection, segregation, transportation, trading of Municipal Solid Waste using appropriate technology. Kanak Resources has been implementing India's first Bin Free City Project in India catering to a population of 2.6 Million and providing a dignified livelihood opportunity to nearly 1500 people from most deprived segment of the society.