The Working Group on Technological Issues drew up its list of issues as:
- Rainwater harvesting techniques for different geo-hydro thermo regions
- Risk management in rainwater harvesting
- Capacity assessment for rainwater harvesting
- Innovative water storage techniques
- Groundwater recharge
- Conventional water-borne sanitation system
- Water Storages and Wetlands
- Basin/sub basin should be treated as unit of water resources planning.
- Critical irrigation to crop during production (is essential) can be provided through rain water harvesting.
- Small scale decentralized water harvesting should be important part of water policy and planning
- It should not be random but based on scientific inputs. Unsuitable/marginal areas should be avoided
- Downstream effects should be accounted for
- Institutional arrangements at the basin level are necessary to avoid conflicts, but centralization must be avoided
- The harvested water should be primarily used to recharge aquifers
- Social or other sanctions are necessary to ensure the economical and equitable use of the harvested water.
- Location of effective recharge structures to be identified with GIS, geophysical, resistivity survey.