Plans to create power corridors for each river basin on its way
The expert team appointed by Central Electricity Authority and Power Grid Corporation of India Limited pushes the Himachal Pradesh government's proposal to develop separate power corridors for all river basins in the state. The suggestion came in the wake of the state government allowing a 230 km long power transmission line to the Jaypee Group for the Karcham Wangtoo hydel project on the Satluj river. This resulted in over 14,000 trees being felled.
Drip irrigation to become mandatory for growing cash crops
Maharashtra Water Resources Regulatory Authority plans to make drip irrigation compulsory for farmers growing cash crops, in order to reduce wastage of irrigated water and make an efficient irrigation system. In its draft bulk water tariff effective from July 1, 2015, the authority has proposed to charge 75% of tariff from farmers growing cash crops and give 25% extra rebate on adoption of drip irrigation. The penalty for not installing drip irrigation within the prescribed time limit is a 150% tariff.
DJB plans to treat greywater
Delhi Jal Board is all set to devise a policy to treat the city's greywater or sullage to augment the water supply in the capital. The recycled water will be made available to the consumers for non-drinking purposes. Decentralisation of Sewage Treatment Plants and commissioning of another plant of 23 MLD capacity in Kapashera will also be a part of the policy.
Politicians' kin to gain most from water allocation
Firms owned by family and close aids of Congress and NCP politicians are prime beneficiaries of the Maharashtra government's move to divert 186 million cubic metres of water from 23 dams to 34 industries in the state. The decision is taken at the cost of reducing the state's irrigation potential by more than 16,166 hectares. However, the state government denied permission to 15 proposals for allocating dam water to sugar mills charged with misusing and polluting water.
State govt proposes underground drainage for Karnataka's coastal towns
The Karnataka government has proposed to implement underground drainage and drinking water supply projects worth Rs.100 crore in five towns of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi districts. The Centre will fund 80% of the project cost under the Urban Infrastructure Development Scheme for Small and Medium Towns while the remaining 20% of the project cost would be equally shared by the state government and local authorities. Kundapur, Moodbidri, Bantwal, Kateel and Kollur are the five towns selected for this project.
This is a weekly roundup of policy matters from January 19-25, 2014. Also read last week's news update.