The Nirmal Bharat Yatra, also called the The Great WASH Yatra is a multichannel, mega-campaign that harnesses the positive power of Cricket and Bollywood to promote awareness and enact behavioural change around sanitation and hygiene in India.
The Nirmal Bharat Yatra has been developed by WASH United and Quicksand, in Collaboration with the Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan. Partners include Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), Water Supply & Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC), Arghyam/India Water Portal, WaterAid, UNICEF, Eawag, Goonj and Freshwater Action Network South Asia (FANSA).
"Khulle mein tatti kabhi na karna" - Nirmal Bharat Yatra's video campaign to spread awareness on sanitation and hygiene
The Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation’s Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan (NBA) campaign, WASH United, and Quicksand are working very closely on the Yatra. The event format resembles a giant carnival in every sense. The bright lights, vibrant colours, and tantalizing scents will bring out the kid in every attendee. Thematically, the event narrative harnesses the positive power of things Indians love most (mythology, cricket, Bollywood, dance, and song) and couples it with WASH messaging to ensure resonance amongst attendees. There will be games like Poop Air Hockey, Germ Pyramid and lots more; dance performances and quiz shows and art exhibitions on display at the Yatra.
Toilets are Beautiful
Join the Toilets are Beautiful Campaign that began yesterday in Delhi! More details here.
|Wardha, Maharashtra||October 3-4 2012|
|Indore, Madhya Pradhesh||October 14-15 2012|
|Kota, Rajasthan||October 20-21 2012|
|Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh||October 31-November 1 2012|
|Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh||November 9-10 2012|
|Bettiah, Bihar||November 17-19 2012|
Watch this space for regular updates through the Yatra!
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra at Wardha - Rain washed our tents, but not the Great WASH Yatra
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra - My Yatra, Your Yatra, Our Yatra - Jairam Ramesh inaugurates the event from Bapu's Wardha
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra - "We don’t talk about it at all !" The taboo of menstruation in rural Maharashtra, a major deterrent in achieving menstrual hygiene
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra - Breaking the Menstrual Taboo in rural Maharashtra
Also published in The Better India here.
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra - A different mindset, a different thought - The story of Goonj
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra at Wardha - Bappu's India - Mahatma Gandhi's model of a toilet
Also published in The Alternative here.
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra - Wardha - The week that was- Part I
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra - Wardha - The week that was - Part II
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra in Madhya Pradesh - Two schools, two toilets - one behaviour
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra at Indore - An Enriching Experience
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra at Indore - The Dirty Picture - Improving sanitation and hygiene in India
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra - Teaching the teachers at Indore, Madhya Pradesh
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra - Jhansi ki Rani, Gwalior Fort and an autumn evening
- The Nirmal Yatra - "I Love My Daughter": The story of a cook in an Indore school
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra in Rajasthan - Different faces of goodness
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra at Rajasthan - A visit to a WASH school
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra - Away from home - Bonding over food
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra at Uttar Pradesh -Training of teachers at Gorakhpur Block Resource Centre
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra - Segregation - the culprit - Menstrual hygiene training of teachers at Gorakhpur
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra - Goodwill on Wheels
- The Nirmal Bharat Yatra - The Yatra, My Launch Pad
Get in touch with us, through the comments section below, if you would like to get involved with the Yatra.