The groundwater related issues and problems the distrcit include:
- Groundwater quality: The problem of arsenic in the district is geogenic in origin. Arsenic in groundwater in sporadic manner has been identified in 19 blocks. A total population of 40,08,480 are residing in the risk zone. Arsenic concentration in groundwater varies from 0.001-1.85 mg/l.
- So far CGWB has constructed 24 deep tubewells in 7 blocks which have been handed over to state agencies to supply water. Apart from this the state government as well as other organisations/agencies has installed arsenic removal plants and domestic filters which are producing arsenic free water.
- In some part of the district surface water is being provided by the state government to the arsenic affected people.
- Water logging problems have been observed in parts of Farakka, Suti and Raghunathganj blocks.
- From the long term monitoring of water level, declining trend has been observed in some parts of district specially in Bharatpur II block.
- In some areas, it is observed that deep aquifers are not found within 350 m bgl particularly in the southern part of the district where high capacity of drilling rig is required to explore beyond 350 mbgl.
- Natural erosion along the banks of Ganga river causing huge loss of agricultural and residential land specially in rainy season is a serious problem in the blocks along the river bank.
Post By: Rama Mani