Arghyam is a public charitable foundation setup with an endowment from Rohini Nilekani, working in the field of water and sanitation in India since 2005. ‘Arghyam’ is a Sanskrit word meaning ‘Offering’. Our vision is “Safe, sustainable water for all”.
Arghyam is looking for full-time Manager, for their Research division, to be based in Bangalore.
- To research and understand government policy and implementation in the domestic water and sanitation sector (eg. Total Sanitation Campaign, National Rural Drinking Water Programme) and analyze strengths, successes, failures, bottlenecks etc.
- To understand civil society organisations' field projects and create recommendations for government programmes from them.
- Understand the state of the sector and use that to make recommendations and design projects and programmes for Arghyam.
- Commission studies to cover critical gaps and increase the knowledge base in the sector.
- Perform these activities by literature search and review, document reading and analysis, visits to projects, discussions with a wide range of actors, some independent data gathering and action research etc.
You will report to the Director, Research at Arghyam and build a small team of highly competent individuals to accomplish these tasks. The work will require some travel within India, up to 1 week a month.
Expected nature of tasks:
- Help to come up with a programme of work for Arghyam in a particular sector eg. groundwater, sanitation
- Identify partners and propose and commission grants to them to fill out critical knowledge gaps in the groundwater sector.
- Understand the behavior change communication challenge in getting people to use toilets and suggest interventions for the same.
- Research the potential for the reuse of human waste to ease the fertilizer crunch in agriculture
- Make reports and presentations aimed at senior government officials with recommendations for policy
Current focus areas of work include groundwater, sanitation and wastewater management.
Required qualifications and experience:
Education: Masters’ degree in public policy, political science, economics, water resources, environment or related field.
Experience: Minimum of 7 years experience in the water or environment sector. Most of this experience should be in a research / policy research / analysis or advocacy role. Typical past experience would be in government, field NGOs, academia, funding agency, research and advocacy groups.
- You must share the team’s passion to make a difference and contribute to society, with this as the prime motivation to consider Arghyam. You would be a self-starter with ability to take initiative.
- Excellent project management skills, ability to multitask, prioritize work, manage time, and achieve deadlines. Flexibility, willingness and ability to work under pressure. Excellent interpersonal, networking and diplomacy skills.
- Pluses: Experience in the water sector particular domestic water and sanitation. Ability to speak one or more Indian languages. Experience with data analysis, statistics.
- Ability and willingness to travel as required.
Last date to apply: July 10, 2012
Competitive, depending on experience and ability
#599, 12th Main,
HAL 2nd Stage,
Email: email@example.com – with the subject line “Application for the post of Manager - Research"
Download the attachment for more details: