This section on water from the Punjab State of the Environment Report has been presented in the attachment. In addition to the actions being taken up by the state for conservation of water resources and preservation of its quality, the following additions are recommended in the report–
Preservation of water quality
- Load based standards be prescribed instead of concentration based standards to reduce total pollutant load.
- Water quality monitoring network be further strengthened, and wherever possible public be involved in local water quality monitoring.
- Wastewater recycling, both in the industrial and domestic sector be promoted and incentives be provided for reduction in water use in industry.
- Low waste and no waste technologies be promoted in water polluting industry.
- For small scale industries CETPs should be promoted at industrial areas and focal points. These would only be successful if they are adequately managed on a user charge basis.
- Low cost sewerage treatment facilities be promoted in rural areas.